Five months later, the pain of Prop 8 still feels fresh. But I'm a data geek, and the AP compiled a database of Prop 8 donors (in support and in opposition), so here goes a quick look.
First, churches. What donors with "Church" in their names gave? Of the 13 churches that donated the most money, only 1 opposed Prop 8. Only 3 progressive churches were able to cobble together 1K to oppose Prop 8. That's just sad.
But those aren't the biggest donors. Here are the biggest donors for Prop 8, against it, and combined.
Some famous names among the big donors:
- John Hormel (first openly-gay US Ambassador), against
- Michael Huffington (ex-husband of Arianna), against
- Brad Pitt, against
- Ellen and Betty Degeneres, against (this one's so cute)
- Templetons (as in the scary Templeton Foundation), for
- Nerds: Sergey Brin, Jerry Yang, Apple, George Lucas, against
You can search by zip code, employer, or name. Leave those blank to search all, then sort by the column headers. What else is there?